Busking includes any of the following activities:
- Playing a musical instrument
- Giving a recitation
- Performing magic, juggling, music, puppetry or dance
- Drawing a message, picture
- Performing any other form of entertainment on a road or in a public place
Is a permit required?
Busking in the form of singing or playing a non-amplified musical instrument may be performed without a permit, subject to permit conditions.
A permit is required for all forms of busking.
To busk at the Dandenong Market, you must obtain permission from the market office. Phone 9701 3850 for more information.
Applying for a local law permit
If a local law permit is required complete an application for a busking permit form (103KB).
Fees apply and must be paid at time of application. See Local Law Fees for current permit costs.
When submitting an application for any other type of busking, the applicant must attach proof of a $5 million public liability insurance cover indemnifying Council against any possible claims arising from the activity.
Permits issues are only valid for four days within any 30 day period.
- Must obtain written consent from the proprietor of the business outside which they intend to busk
- Are not to cause annoyance or obstruction to persons or traffic
- Are not to obstruct doorways of other entrances
- Must cease the activity immediately when requested by the business proprietor or an authorised council officer
- Are not to busk in the one location for more than two consecutive days
- Are not to use electronic amplification equipment, unless they hold a permit
- If holding a busking permit, it must be presented upon request