An owner of a dog that rushes at, attacks, bites, or chases any person or other animal can be liable for any damage caused by the conduct of that dog.
Please note, that If the dog attacked due to any of the following reasons, then action might not be able to be taken:
- Dog was being teased, abused or assaulted
- The attacked person was trespassing on the property where the dog was kept
- Another animal was brought onto the premises where the dog was kept
- The dog was defending its owner who was being attacked
- The dog was participating in an authorised hunt (conducted in accordance with the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986)
If you are the victim of a dog attack, contact Council on 8571 1000 immediately.
Plese provide the the following information:
- Nature of the attack i.e. bite, menace, chase, rushed at you
- Date and time of incident
- Location of the incident
- Is the dog still roaming?
- If still roaming, the last known location of the dog
- Description of the dog i.e. breed, size, colour
- Wherethe dog lives, if know
A local laws officer will then investigate the report and advise the action to be taken.