Skip to Content
Keep your city clean it's in your hands. To report littering call 8571 1000

Keep your city clean it's in your hands. To report littering call 8571 1000

Littering and Illegal Rubbish Dumping

Littering and illegal rubbish dumping pollutes our roadsides, chokes our waterways and can threaten wildlife. It also leaves our streets looking messy and unattractive. Around 14,560 tonnes of litter is generated by Victorians each year costing the community around $80 million in clean-up costs.

The City of Greater Dandenong encourages residents to report any incidents of litter and illegal rubbish dumping.

What is littering and illegal rubbish dumping?

Littering and illegal rubbish dumping is the disposal of any waste in an area where it is not permitted, including:

  • household rubbish
  • rubbish from businesses (commercial and shops)
  • hard waste - household furniture, appliances, mattresses, etc
  • building and renovation materials
  • garden waste - clippings, branches, soil, mulch, etc
  • tyres
  • cigarette butts
  • shopping trolleys
  • dog droppings.

How do I report littering and illegal rubbish dumping?

Littering from a moving vehicle

Report littering (such as cigarette butts) from a moving vehicle download and complete a online confidential litter report form.

Council can issue an infringement to the registered owner based on your completed confidential litter report form. Please only submit the form if you are prepared to give evidence in court, if required to do so.

If the littering occurs outside of the City of Greater Dandenong, you can report to the EPA Victoria on 1300 372 842 or at

Littering and rubbish dumping in the street

If you witness someone dumping rubbish or need to report dumped rubbish you can do this by contacting Council or submitting an online report form.

Please try to provide as much information as possible, including:

  • items that have been dumped
  • the location of the dumped rubbish/litter
  • the date and time you saw the rubbish being dumped
  • any identifying details such as vehicle make, registration and colour.

If you do not actually witness the dumping occurring but think you may have information that might assist in identifying offenders we would also like to hear from you.

What happens when illegally dumped rubbish is reported to Council?

When Council receives a report of dumped rubbish (or is patrolling and observes dumped rubbish) the officer will attend the site and investigate to see if there is any identifiable material in the dump.

Council officers will try and identify who has dumped the rubbish and, if evidence is found, a notice will be sent advising the dumper that they have breached the Environment Protection Act 1970.  

A bright yellow ‘illegally dumped' sticker or bright yellow tape will also be attached to the dump and illegal litter alert cards may be left at surrounding properties.

Fines for illegally dumped rubbish

Fines may be issued for failing to comply with illegally dumped rubbish notices.

There are heavy penalties for dumping rubbish, with the maximum penalty exceeding $7000 if the matter is prosecuted in the Magistrates Court.

Fine penalties are reviewed by the Victorian Government annually.

Dumped rubbish initiatives

Council is concerned with the continued growth in the number of reports of dumped rubbish incidents being received.
In 2016-17, Council has funded several initiatives aimed at tackling this issue which will include:
  • the increased use of surveillance cameras, in order to detect and prosecute rubbish dumpers
  • free community drop off days to enable residents to dispose of household goods for re-use and recycling by others (dates to be confirmed)
  • increased rapid removal of dumped rubbish, in order to keep our streets clean and free of dumped rubbish

What can you do?

If you see littering occurring, please report it, following the simple instructions above.
If you don’t actually see the dumping occurring but think you have information that might assist in identifying the dumpers, we also want to hear from you, so please contact us.