Applying for a Planning Permit
Before you start your planning permit application, it is recommended that you discuss your proposal with Council's Planning department via the planning pre-application discussion service.
There are a number of important steps you need to follow when preparing a planning permit application.
Consider getting professional advice. Planning assessment and decision-making are sophisticated processes that involve concepts such as respecting neighbourhood character, achieving good urban design outcomes, and protecting reasonable amenity.
Talk to your neighbours to let them know what you are planning and to discuss any potential problems. Most people appreciate the opportunity to discuss plans prior the formal public notification process.
Determine which planning permit application method your proposal is eligible for. If you are unsure or need assistance, please contact Council's Planning department on 8571 1000.
Collect all the relevant information. To ensure that your application can be processed quickly and efficiently, it is essential that all the relevant information is included. Please refer to our planning information guides and checklists for guidelines on the specific information that is required for certain types of planning permit applications.
As a minimum you must submit:
- A completed application for a planning permit form
- Payment of the prescribed application fee via cheque or credit card payment form
- A current certificate of title (dated less than 30 days old)
- Where applicable, a current Metropolitan Planning Levy (MPL) certificate - for details, visit the State Revenue Office website www.sro.vic.gov.au (the threshold for the 2016-17 financial year is $1,013,692.16)
- Three (3) sets of all application documents and plans in hard copy (Note: Plans can be A3 size for small scale developments. Plans must be A1 or A2 size for large scale developments)
- An electronic copy of all application documents and plans on CD/DVD or USB flash drive
Please note: Depending on the type of application and what is being proposed, other application requirements may apply. Incomplete applications cannot be accepted.
- Lodge a complete planning permit application with all relevant information in person at the Planning service counter (Greater Dandenong Civic Centre, Level 3, 225 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong), by mail (PO Box 200, Dandenong VIC 3175) or online via SPEAR (subdivision applications only).