The City of Greater Dandenong has a bicycle network of 98 kilometres of off and on-road cycling paths including the Eastlink and Dandenong Creek trails.
This bicycle network provides a number of benefits to the community and the region including:
- an alternate form of transportation for commuters
- an inexpensive form of transportation
- links between neighbourhoods, suburbs and areas of interest
- an opportunity to create a healthier lifestyle through physical exercise
- opportunities to access and enjoy a range of natural environments.
Whether your motivation is financial, environmental or health related, Council is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable bicycle network for you.
To view bicycle and shared paths in Greater Dandenong download the City of Greater Dandenong TravelSmart Map (PDF - 5MB). The map provides sustainable transport information on a pocket-sized street map.
Health benefits of cycling
An inactive lifestyle can lead to coronary heart disease, stroke, obesity, and diabetes. Regular exercise, such as cycling reduces:
- cholesterol level
- risk of high blood pressure.
- risk of heart disease
- risk of injury compared to many other recreation activities.