Skip to Content

Register a Food Business

Which businesses need to be registered?

All of the below listed business need to register under the relevant legislation. Depending on the type of business, it either needs to be registered through Council or another authority.

Business to register with Council:

  • Restaurants
  • Take Away Outlets
  • Milk Bars
  • Supermarkets
  • Service Stations
  • Food Factories
  • Food Vehicles 

Business to register with Prime Safe:

Business that trade solely in:

  • Meat
  • Poultry
  • Fish

Contact Prime Safe on 9685 7333 to register. More information is available at

Business to register with Dairy Food Safety Victoria:

  • Manufacturers that produce dairy products exclusively

Contact Dairy Food Safety Victoria on 9426 599 to register.

Food Premises Kit

To facilitate an efficient process in setting up your business, the City of Greater Dandenong has created a Food Premises Kit to help you through the process.

Please note that prior to the opening of the business, Council must complete a final inspection to give approval for open and trade and a certificate for the food safety program must be lodged.

View the Food Premises Kit