Writers in Residence Program
The City of Greater Dandenong Writer in Residence program (WiR) provides a unique opportunity for emerging writers to work in one of the most culturally diverse community in Australia.
Step away from your usual surroundings for a period of intense focus on your practice in a unique and supported environment. As part of your residency, you will have the opportunity to contribute to existing Council programming such as school holidays programs, festival activity and library workshops.
Greater Dandenong Libraries host over 1.2 million visits per year and has a strong relationship with local schools and community groups. This residency will provide opportunities and pathways to engage directly with our flourishing community
2017 Writer in Residence call out
Applications are now open for this year's inaugural Writer in Residence Program and close on Monday 1 May 2017.
Applications are to be submitted online via the online form below.
Who can apply?
The Writer in Residence program is open to emerging and professional artists and creative thinkers from all disciplines, from Australia and overseas, including visual artists, digital artists, musicians, writers, performers, producers, directors, composers, curators and educators.
What is provided?
Resident artists are provided with studio space and a materials fee of $200. Greater Dandenong offers residencies across multiple cultural venues including:
- Drum Theatre, a state-of-the-art, purpose built performing arts theatre within the heritage façade of the former Dandenong Town Hall and is situated in the heart of the Dandenong CBD.
- Heritage Hill, a unique historic precinct featuring two beautifully preserved buildings, Laurel Lodge (1869) and Benga (1936), on two acres of landscaped gardens in the heart of Dandenong.
- Walker Street Gallery, featuring a diverse range of exhibition and performing arts spaces, with monthly exhibitions, artist talks and openings.
- Greater Dandenong Libraries with over 1.2 million annual visitors, the libraries are the heart of our community, offering a diverse range of activities, workshops and events.
What does the residency include?
Support for your residency may include:
- a one-month exhibition within the year on the conclusion of your residency to showcase work. This may be held as a group show.
- individual exhibition opportunities
- community performances at a cultural facility and/or Council event
- open studio initiatives
- community engagement through workshops, artist talks etc
- artist interviews published across Council digital platforms
- networking opportunities with the local arts community
What is required of the artist?
Artists are required to attend the residency for a minimum of 10 hours per week. Other contributions to community may include:
- a public presentation or demonstration of the artists work towards an exhibition and/or performance
- a masterclass, community workshops or tutorial of some kind
- a co-ordinated community project in partnership with the City of Greater Dandenong
- contribute to existing Council programming such as school holidays programs, festival activity and/or library workshops
A standard residency operates on a three -month basis. Unless otherwise negotiated, residencies are offered in the following blocks:
- 5 May – 28 July 2017
- 4 August – 27 October 2017
- 3 November – 30 January 2018
How to apply
For more information read the Writer in Residence Terms and Conditions.
Applications are to be submitted online (see below).
If you need more information or would like to discuss your ideas or application please contact Greer Davis, Arts & Culture Project Officer, on 8571 1000 or email@example.com.