Skip to Content
Victorian's cautioned about carbon monoxide from gas space heaters

Victorian's cautioned about carbon monoxide from gas space heaters

04 April 2018

The Department of Health and Human Services is urging Victorians with either a Vulcan or Pyrox Heritage gas space heater in their home not to use them until they are tested by a qualified gas fitter.

The use of Vulcan or Pyrox Heritage gas space heaters may produce increased indoor carbon monoxide levels under certain conditions. The combination of inadequate ventilation, as well as operating bathroom exhaust fans or kitchen range hoods at the same time as the heater, can draw carbon monoxide into living areas. The risk is increased if the heater and associated components such as the flue are not regularly serviced.

Who is at risk?

All Victorians using a Vulcan or Pyrox Heritage gas space heater may be at risk of increased indoor carbon monoxide levels under certain conditions.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless gas that may affect your health if breathed in. Symptoms can include tiredness, shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness, confusion or chest pain. Seek medical advice if you are experiencing any of these symptoms. In an emergency call 000.

Recommendations

Consumers are advised not to use Vulcan or Pyrox Heritage space heaters until the units have been tested by a qualified gasfitter.

More information

Better Health Channel: Gas Heating - Health and Safety Issues

Energy Safe Victoria: Program in place to address CO risk in Heritage Gas Heaters

Residents with a Pyrox or Vulcan Heritage gas heater should contact Climate Technologies on 8795 2462.





Find News