Skip to Content

Abandoned Vehicles

Local residents that suspect a vehicle on Council land and around their streets is abandoned, should follow the following guidelines. Vehicles may include cars, trailers, trucks, motorbikes and caravans. 

What is an Abandoned vehicle? 

The vehicle may be considered abandoned if: 

  • The registration is listed as expired or cancelled on the Vic Roads website 

  • The vehicle has no number plates 

  • The vehicles registered but has not been moved in two months. 

Checking vehicle registration 

Residents can check vehicle registrations by visiting the VicRoads website.   

If you have the vehicle registration number from the number plates, this website will show you if the vehicle has been stolen or is unregistered. 

How to report an abandoned vehicle 

Residents can report an abandoned vehicle through Council's Snap Send Solve App or telephone 8571 1000.

The following information will be required for you to supply: 

  • Location (address) of where the vehicle is located

  • Make, Model and colour of the vehicle 

  • Registration number (if visible on the vehicle) 

A vehicle can also be reported stolen vehicle to Victoria Police 

If the vehicle is reported as stolen on the VicRoads website, please contact Victoria Police on 131 444. 

What happens after you report an abandoned vehicle to Council? 

A council Local Law officer will inspect the vehicle. 

If the vehicle is deemed unregistered/abandoned council will place a yellow sticker on the vehicle. This means Council officer considers the vehicle to be unregistered/abandoned and will re-inspect the vehicle after a period of time.  

If the vehicle has not been moved or Council has not been contacted from the owner of the vehicle within a period of time, the unregistered/abandoned vehicle may be impounded by Council. 


Donate your unwanted vehicle

If you would like to dispose of your vehicle before it is impounded you could get a tax deduction by donating it to a charity that accepts vehicle donations. 

Kids Under Cover, a not-for-profit organisation that works to prevent youth homelessness, will collect your vehicle for free and sell it at action. 

Visit Donate Your Car or telephone 1800 801 633.