Skip to Content

Swimming Pools

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update - Date Extention for Pool and Spa Registrations

The Victorian Government is extending the deadline for the mandatory registration of private pools and spas due to the impacts of COVID-19.

Private pool and spa owners now have until 1 November 2020 to register pools with their local council (an extension of five months from the original 1 June deadline).

Click to read more information on these changes

What is a swimming pool?

A swimming pool is any excavation or structure capable of containing a depth of more than 300mm of water and is used primarily for swimming, wading, paddling or similar. This includes wading/blow-up pools, spas/blow-up spas, above-ground and indoor pools. Excluding indoor spas inside a building (e.g. in a bathroom) used for personal hygiene and emptied after each use.

All swimming pools and spas must have a compliant safety barrier to restrict access to the pool area by young children.

A building permit is required for the construction and alteration of all barrier/s for a swimming pool and spa. Building permit is also required for the construction of swimming pool.


New pool and spa registration and inspection requirements

On 1 December 2019, new regulations to improve swimming pool and spa safety come into effect in Victoria. New registration, inspection and certification requirements now apply for property owners.

As part of the changes, owners of the land are required to register their pool and/or spa with their local council and have the safety barrier inspected once every four years.

Registration Application Form

Applicable Fees

Registration and Document Search: $79.00

Lodgement of Compliance Certificate: $20.40

Lodgement of Non-Compliance Certificate: $385.05


Key dates:

Registration Dates

Swimming pool

Registration date

Pools constructed before 1 November 2020 (reg 147L) Swimming pools(a) constructed before 1 November 2020; or(b) in respect of which construction was commenced but not completed before 1 November 2020. Excludes a relocatable swimming pool

  • The later of: 1 November 2020


  • 30 days after the date the Occupancy Permit or Certificate of Final Inspection is issued.

Pools constructed on or after 1 November 2020 (reg 147M) for which a building permit for construction of the swimming pool was issued—(a) on or after 1 November 2020; or(b) before 1 November 2020 but construction of the swimming pool did not commence until on or after that date.(Excludes a relocatable swimming pool)

  • 30 days after the date of issue of the occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection for the pool and spa;


  • Required to lodge the certificate of barrier compliance at the same time as your registration application.

If the relocatable pool or spa was erected before 1 November 2020 and remains erected for at least 3 consecutive days immediately before 1 November 2020

  • By 4 November 2020 if erected 3 or more days prior to 1 June and remains erected,


  • On the 4th day after the relocatable pool was erected.


 Certificate of Compliance Submission Dates

Swimming pool construction date

First certificate of swimming pool barrier compliance due date (Form 23)

30 June 1994 or earlier

1 November 2021

From 1 July 1994 until 30 April 2010

1 November 2022

From 1 May 2010 until 31 May 2020

1 November 2023

Constructed without a building permit before 1 November 2020

From 1 November 2021

On or after 1 November 2020

At the time of applying for registration

The date the relocatable swimming pool was last erected as specified in the application form (Form 22)

No later than 30 days after the date the pool was registered

The construction and installation of swimming pools, spas, safety barriers and barrier maintenance are all subject to the requirements of the Building Regulations 2018 (the Regulations).

It is the responsibility of the property owner that all pools and spas are correctly fenced and secured according to the Regulations.  Council encourages all owners to inspect and review the compliance of their pools and spas using the Victorian Building Authority’s three self-assessment checklists.


Victorian Building Authority (VBA) Pool and Spa Safety Barrier Checklist

  • Pools and spas installed before 8 April 1991 - Checklist 1
  • Pools and spas installed between 8 April 1991 and 30 April 2010 - Checklist 2
  • Pools and spas installed from 1 May 2010 - Checklist 3


Who can insepct my safety barriers?

Any building surveyor or building inspector who is registered with the Victorian Building Authority is able to inspect and certify your safety barriers. You can also check is a building practitioner or company is regsitered use the VBA's Find a Practitioner directory.


Will Council provide details on who will insepct my safety barriers?

The council is uable to recommend or provide details of building surveyors or building inspectors that can inspect your safety barriers. A list is available by search the VBA's Find a Practitioner directory.


For further information please visit the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) website for all current updates regarding swimming pools and spa regulations.


Applying for a building permit 

If a building permit is required, go to the building permits section to download the application form and for instructions on how to apply.

Are you still not sure if a building permit is required? 

Contact Council if you are not sure if you require a permit or have any further questions:

Please note: If a pool/spa area is deemed unsafe enforcement action, fines and possible court action may be instigated.

Further information

New pool and spa registration and inspection requirements - Victorian Building Authority (VBA) Website

KidSafe Victoria water safety audit