Skip to Content


Is a permit required?

Brick front fence more than 1.2m high


Timber or steel front fence more than 1.2m high


Side and boundary fence more than 2m high


Fence that is more than 1.0m high, within 9m of the point of intersection of street alignments 


 Construction of chainlink fence around commercial or industrial property/carpark


Construction of a chain wire tennis court fence 



Applying for a building permit 

If a building permit is required, go to the building permits section to download the application form and for instructions on how to apply.


Still not sure if a building permit is required?  

If you are not sure if you require a permit or have any questions feel free to contact us.

Fencing between neighbours

The cost of the fence is divided equally between the adjoining neighbours according to the Victorian Fencing Act 1968.

To obtain ownership details on neighbouring properties for fencing purposes complete Council's Adjoining Owner Information Request form so you can contact your neighbour  and ask them to share the cost for the  repairs or replacement of the fence..

If one neighbour requests a non-standard fence, the cost difference should be borne by the person requesting the non-standard fence.

Disputes regarding fencing matters may be directed to:

For further information relating to general fencing enquires go to

Half cost fencing (between resident's and council's land)

Council will contribute half of the cost of the construction and replacement of a standard fence abutting Council owned properties (recreation reserves, parks, and other buildings). Council must be provided with 3 written quotes and their approval must obtained prior to any repair and/or replacement of fences. Council will not consider contribution after works are commenced or completed.

For more information please download the Half Cost Fencing Information sheet 2018 (PDF 146 KB)

Half cost fencing is not available when:

  • Properties are adjacent to road reserves, laneway, walkways and right of way
  • Properties are adjacent to other authorities land (eg Melbourne Water, South East Water, etc.),
  • Properties are not owned by Council (eg freeway reservations, VicRoads land, etc.)

Request for adjoining property owner details for fencing purposes

Property owners and fencing contractors can request the details of owners of adjoining properties for fencing purposed only.

To apply complete the request for adjoining property owner details for fencing purposes application form (PDF - 202KB) and return to a Council customer service centre.

Please note that the adjoining owner requesting the information must also provide proof (eg driver's licence)  that they are an adjoining owner

Brand new fencing for subdivisions

These queries should be directed to the developer or Council's Town Planning Business Unit if fence conditions are stipulated in a planning permit.