Skip to Content

Septic Tanks and Greywater

The City of Greater Dandenong is responsible for:

  • approving waste water systems in non-sewerage areas (areas outside reticulated sewer and water)
  • approving the design and installation of septic tanks
  • investigating broken sewerage pipes on private property
  • working with South East Water and the Victorian Plumbing Authority (VBA) to get problems fixed

If you have any questions or issues around water usage, contact South East Water.

Septic tanks

If you wish to install or alter a septic tank, you need to fill in an application for permission to install/alter a septic tank system form and return to Council with a copy of the plan showing the location of all buildings and boundaries, the location of the septic tank and drainage field, any slopes or inclines, any retaining walls, any in-ground swimming pools or dams, and true North.

Environment Protection Act 1970 (GST exempt)

New Septic Tank System  


Alteration to an existing Septic Tank System 


To check that the plumber installing or altering your septic tank is accredited/licensed to do so, check the Victorian Building Authority website or telephone on 1300 815 127.

An Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will attend to ensure that what you are proposing is suitable for the land and that the waste water will not pose a risk to the environment.

The EHO will then arrange for a Permit to Install a Septic Tank System to be sent to you.

The EHO will also conduct a progress inspection, during installation of the drainage field, and a final inspection.

Once all works have been completed and the EHO has carried out the final inspection a Permit to Use a Septic Tank System will be issued. You must comply with all of the conditions attached to the permit.

You must ensure that your septic tank or treatment plant is working at all times and that all wastewater is treated and contained on your property.

If you are installing a treatment plant you must ensure that it is serviced regularly, in accordance with the Permit conditions.

Greywater reuse

Greywater (all non-toilet household wastewater) can be a good water resource in dry periods, but its reuse can carry health and environmental risks. Basic safety tips must be followed (see greywater tips).

City of Greater Dandenong does not endorse untreated grey water being stored or discharged to the ground surface in any way. Greywater must be treated as waste water and properly disposed of to the sewerage system provided to the property. Greywater stored or discharged onto ground could be subject to Health Act enforcement.

City of Greater Dandenong encourages the collection of storm water and the installation of water tanks.

For more information on greywater reuse contact the EPA Victoria website.

Greywater tips

  • Use only greywater from baths, showers, hand basins and washing machines (preferably the final rinse water)

  • Don't use kitchen wastewater (including dishwashers) due to the high concentration of food wastes and chemicals that are not readily broken down by soil organisms

  • Only use greywater on the garden and rotate which areas you water

  • Only apply enough water that the soil can absorb

  • Wash your hands after watering with greywater

  • Don't water vegetable gardens with greywater if the crop is to be eaten raw or uncooked

  • Don't use greywater that has faecal contamination, for example wastewater used to launder nappies

  • Don't store greywater for more than 24 hours

  • Don't use greywater during wet periods

  • Don't let children or pets drink or play with greywater

  • Stop using greywater if odours are generated and plants do not appear to be healthy

  • Don't allow greywater to flow from your property or enter stormwater systems