Skip to Content

Granny Flats

A granny flat or dependent person's unit is defined by the Greater Dandenong Planning Scheme as a "movable building on the same lot as an existing dwelling and used to provide accommodation for a person dependent on a resident of the existing dwelling".

Is a permit required?

Yes, a building permit for the construction of the dependent person's unit is required.

A planning permit may not be required, if Council is satisfied that the potential building achieves the following criteria, based on the definition in the Greater Dandenong Planning Scheme.

  • A moveable building
    This must be based on the definition of movable building - "a structure other than a tent, caravan or vehicle, which is designed to be moved from place to place on more than one occasion"

  • Used for the accommodation of a dependent person
    This may be a person who is incapacitated by virtue of medical, economic or social reasons and is therefore dependent on the person in the main dwelling for their accommodation

  • There is only one dependant person's unit on the lot

Helpful information

Check your copy of title for any relevant restrictions or any evident covenants which relate to your property; if so seek legal advice.

Approach Council and seek advice regarding relevant planning controls (i.e. Planning Scheme Overlays) which may have an impact on the development of the dependent person's unit.

Fact Sheet - Dependent Person's Unit (granny flat) (PDF - 137KB)

Still not sure if you need a permit?  

If you are not sure if you require a permit or have any questions feel free to contact us.