Skip to Content

Failure to Vote

Voting has been compulsory in Victorian State elections since 1926. If you are enrolled to vote, then you must vote in all Federal, State and local Council elections and statutory polls. If you are aged 70 or over, it is not compulsory to vote in local Council elections.

What if I didn't vote?

'Apparent failure to vote' notices

If you were required to vote at the Greater Dandenong City Council election on 22 October 2016 but did not, you will receive an 'apparent failure to vote' notice in January 2017 from the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC), under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1989.

The notice will invite persons who were required to vote at the Council elections and who appear not to have voted to provide an explanation for why they failed to vote. You could also contest that you did, in fact, vote at the elections if you believe that you are incorrectly recorded as not having voted.

Infringement notices

Infringement notices will then be issued in March 2017 by the VEC to persons who were issued with an 'Apparent Failure to Vote Notice' in January 2017 and either fail to respond within the 28 day timeframe or fail to provide a satisfactory response. Infringement notices will carry a penalty. If that penalty is not paid, then a penalty reminder notice will be issued with an additional cost.

How do I contact the Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC)?

Contact the VEC on 131 832.