Cr Maria Sampey (Silverleaf Ward)
Term as a Councillor: 2000 - present
Mayor in: 2005
Mobile: 0438 800 027
Phone: 9790 1291
Fax: 9790 6104
I came to Australia from Reggio Calabria, Italy at age 7 with my family. I've been a resident of Greater Dandenong for more than 40 years and have been married to my husband Brian for 46 years.
I stood for Council in 2000 because I wanted to be a voice for residents and be part of the decision-making process of this city. I have the ability to listen and bring their concerns to Council and the perseverance to achieve positive results.
As part of my role as a Councillor, I prepared and moved a Notice of Motion in August 2011 that council review the community care service model and develop a strategic service plan to guide council’s direction in this vital service area. Through this, council developed a new Aged Care Plan that sets out how services for older people are provided. The Plan helps Council attract further funding from the State and Federal Governments, as well as develop a client feedback and a consultation process to further enhance services. The key focus of the Plan is increased support, particularly for the most frail and vulnerable older residents.
I also helped implement a program for vacation and after school care programs for local children and teenagers with intellectual disabilities. The program funding enables 22 young people with complex care needs to participate in a range of social and recreational activities. It provides significant opportunities for families to access respite care during school holidays. Families at the school and across the municipality are accessing the programs.
I would like to see local parkland retained and upgraded to be more user-friendly for families and youths.
Committees, organisations and industry bodies Maria represents as a Councillor:
- Audit Advisory Committee
- Alliance for Gambling Reform
- CEO Performance Review Committee
- Children and Family Partnership
- Community Safety Advisory Committee
- Dandenong Market Pty Ltd
- Disability Advisory Committee
- Local Governments' Metropolitan Waste Management Forum (Alternative Representative)
- Positive Ageing Advisory Committee
- Springvale Major Projects Advisory Group
- Victorian Local Governance Association (Alternative Representative)
More information about the above committees, community organisations and peak industry bodies.
Key areas of Interest
- Community infrastructure and services
- Crime prevention
- Councils kitchen upgrades and pavilion upgrades
- Footpaths, kerbing and channeling projects
- Aged services
- Disabilities services