Cr Loi Truong (Lightwood Ward)
Term as a Councillor: 2008 - present
Mobile: 0466 004 618
Phone/Fax: 9798 6139
I resettled in Australia in 1983 after living in Hong Kong as a refugee of the Vietnam Conflict. I worked in the automotive industry, but as part of my aspirations to better the community, pursued university education, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in 1990.
I have worked with the Springvale Indochinese Mutual Assistance Association (SICMAA), Migrant Resource Centre (MRC), and as an Electorate Officer for several State and Federal Members of Parliament.
One of my key goals as a councillor is to assist the migrant community to integrate with the Australian way of life. I place high priority in developing a harmonious community and strive to learn more about the resettlement issues new Australians are facing and address them head on. In particular, I would like to see greater awareness of, and trust in, the government and their services.
I also work to raise the profile of the many issues that face less privileged members of the community, such as the elderly and youth at risk. I strive towards improving the quality and safety of public places and parks for the benefit of our community.
Committees, organisations and industry bodies Loi represents as a Councillor:
- Alliance for Gambling Reform
- Children and Family Partnership
- Community Safety Advisory Committee
- Community Support Grants Advisory & Assessment Panel - Community Development
- Disability Advisory Committee
- Family Violence Advisory Committee
- Greater Dandenong Interfaith Network
- Leisure Contract Advisory Group
- Positive Ageing Advisory Committee
- Springvale Benevolent Society
- Springvale and District Historical Society
- Springvale Major Projects Advisory Group
More information about the above committees, community organisations and peak industry bodies.