Skip to Content

Shared Accommodation

If you are proposing to convert an existing residential building (Class 1a) into a rooming house, boarding house, hostel or other shared accommodation (Class 1b or 3), there are a number of statutory obligations that you must meet prior to commencing.

A building permit is required to change a building from Class 1a to 1b or 3. A planning permit may also be required if not all requirements for the building are met.

For more information of the requirements around changing a dwelling into shared accommodation download the Fact Sheet for Shared Accommodation (PDF - 257KB).

Council will investigate any reports of non-compliance with regulations. If required a notice or order will be issued accordingly.