Local Area Traffic Management
Council takes road safety very seriously and works closely with peak bodies like the TAC, VicRoads and the RACV to ensure safe travel for all road users.
The installation of Local Area Traffic Management (LATM) measures which include treatments such as; roundabouts, angled slow points, traffic islands, raised safety platforms and speed cushions are often installed to address road safety issues like speeding or poor visibility.
To ensure the available budgets are allocated effectively, we prioritise the installation of any traffic calming treatments based on the level of risk to road users. This level of risk is calculated taking into account the following factors:
• Traffic volume
• Traffic speeds
• The percentage of heavy vehicles using the street
• Activity generators in the area such as schools, playgrounds and shops
• The causality crash history at the site over the past five years
• The intended function of the road (i.e. whether the road is a local street, or a street between local streets and arterial roads)
Council has several new projects planned for delivery in the near future and we are currently seeking feedback from residents in these areas.
We are currently seeking feedback on the following two projects. To have your say please email LATM@cgd.vic.gov.au by 28 February 2018.
Gladstone Road, Dandenong North
The section of Gladstone Road between Heatherton Road and Police Road is 3.3km long with a posted 60km/h speed limit. Vehicle speeds along this section of road tend to be higher than the posted speed limit, which increases the road safety risk to all road users including pedestrians and cyclists. Two fatalities and several serious crashes have occurred along this road in recent years.
To improve road safety along Gladstone Road, Council is proposing to install:
- Raised safety platforms at the school crossing outside Lyndale Greens Primary School, Lyndale Secondary College and at the intersection with Lipton Drive
- Bicycle Lanes for the length between Heatherton Road and Police Road
The proposed treatments are anticipated to reduce the opportunity for excessive vehicle speeds. Additionally, introducing bicycle lanes will also provide dedicated road space for cyclists, while also retaining parking on both sides of Gladstone Road.
Download a plan of the proposed concept designs of these treatments: Gladstone Road, Dandenong North LATM (PDF 316KB) and Gladstone Road Concepts for Consultation (PDF - 545KB)
Jacksons Road, Bakers Road, Eagle Drive and Whitehaven Crescent Area, Noble Park North
Several local roads within the area bound by Jacksons Road, Bakers Road, Eagle Drive and Whitehaven Crescent Area, Noble Park North have high recorded vehicle volumes and speeds, leading to an increased road safety risk.
To improve road safety within this area Council is proposing to:
- Install raised safety platform intersections at: Eagle Drive/Feathertop Drive, Eagle Drive/Julius Crescent, Alpine Crescent/Terrigal Drive and Whitehaven Crescent/Terrigal Drive
- Change the intersection priority at Eagle Drive/Alpine Crescent
The proposed treatments are anticipated to reduce vehicle speeds and discourage non-local traffic in the area. Examples of recently installed raised platform intersections can be seen on Devira Street, Dandenong North and Bundeena Avenue, Noble Park
Download a plan of the proposed concept designs of these treatments: Jacksons Road, Bakers Road, Eagle Drive, Whitehaven Crescent Area LATM (PDF 392KB) and Jacksons Road, Bakers Road, Eagle Drive and Whitehaven Crescent Area, Noble Park North Concepts for Consultation (PDF - 810KB)