Skip to Content
Parking, Roads and Transport

Parking, Roads and Transport

Higher Mass Limit and B-Double Road Permits

Operators of higher mass limit and b-double vehicles need to obtain permits to operate on local roads.

All travel by the following vehicles requires an access permit:

  • B-Doubles
  • Higher Mass Limit Vehicles
  • Oversize and Overmass Vehicles
  • Special Purpose Vehicles

Permits are issued by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR). To obtain a permit go to


Travelling on Local Roads

If you are seeking to travel on any local road, you must contact the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) via email or telephone 1300 696 487. 

Under Heavy Vehicle National Law, the NHVR must then secure council approval for heavy vehicle travel on local government roads before an access permit can be issued.

Council is happy to provide advice regarding routes though the City of Greater Dandenong to heavy vehicle operators prior to submitting applications to the NHVR.   If you would like advice regarding travel for heavy vehicles through the City of Greater Dandenong, please contact Council.


Approved roads

Council has a number of pre-approved routes for each type of vehicle listed on the VicRoads website.

List of approved heavy vehicle and b-double roads and truck maps (VicRoads website)