Skip to Content

Events in Council Parks and Reserves

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

Due to current Stage Four restrictions in response to the pandemic, applications for events and other mass gatherings will not be processed. 

Applications will recommence processing when restrictions ease to a level that accommodates the number of attendees on your application.

If you wish to discuss plans for a future event please contact the Festivals and Events team,

Events in Council Parks and Reserves

Council encourages the community to apply to use parks and reserves for social events and gatherings. Depending on the size of the event, different application processes need to be followed.

Go to the Parks and Reserves section of this website for complete a list of all parks and reserves.
Go to the Harmony Square page on this website for more information on this public space. 

Events with 1-200 attendees

If the event is expected to attract less than 200 people, apply for the casual use of the park, reserve or sports ground. Please note that depending on the type and size of event there may be a fee for parks/reserves hire.

Events with more than 200 attendees

Events attracting over 200 attendees on Council land in the City of Greater Dandenong require an event permit.

To commence an application for an event permit, complete the intention to hold an event form and return to Council within the relevant application deadline. Once this is received, Council will advise the next steps of the application and whether any other relevant event application forms are required.

Event application forms and deadlines

All event applications forms must be submitted by due dates outlined below, otherwise the event will not be approved and may need to be rescheduled to a later date.  

If the submitted event documentation is incomplete or requires additional work, the event may need to be rescheduled to a later date. If that is required, the later date will only be confirmed once all forms are completed correctly.

Important deadlines

* 90 days prior – complete and submit Intention to Hold an Event Form online 

* 60 days prior – submit the following:

    1. Event Application Forms Parts A and B (PDF - 761KB)
    2. Public Liability Insurance (minimum $20 million cover)
    3. Site plan
    4. Traffic management plan, if applicable

* 45 days prior - submit event on Council's online event calendar

* 30 days prior – submit the following: 

    1. List of food stalls
    2. Event emergency management procedure: Parks, Reserves and Open Spaces - Event emergency procedure template for events in parks and reserves (PDF - 678KB) or Harmony Square - Event emergency Procedure template for events in Harmony Square (PDF - 2.9MB)

* 5 working days prior – cut-off date for submitting a statement of trade for food (



Additional forms and information

Complete either one of these forms

 Examples of the event application documents

Checklists and factsheets

Security self-audit

Fees and charges

Council website - useful links


Public Liability Insurance (Mandatory)

Events in Greater Dandenong are required to have Public Liability Insurance cover of a minimum of 20 million dollars.

The Policy must cover the event and the types of activities featured in the event; and include the event bump in and bump out time.  The Policy must be underwritten by insurers authorized to conduct insurance business in Australia.  Insurance cover should also cover property, equipment and volunteers.       

The event organiser is also responsible for ensuring that all stallholders, caterers, suppliers, performers, contractors have their own current Public Liability Insurance Policies.


Do I need a planning permit?

Depending on the event and where you are holding the event, you may need to apply for a Planning Permit.

Even if the building is a place of assembly (eg. a sport hall) or a place of worship (eg. temple, church or other denominational building), you or the owner may need other types of planning consent from Council to hold your event.

You might also need a permit for any event signage you are considering.

You should be aware that if you require a permit or planning consent from Council and you do not obtain it, you could be liable to fines and further legal action for your unpermitted event.

Contact Council’s helpful trained town planners in the Planning and Design Department for advice before you begin planning your event.