Skip to Content

Road Closures and Mobile Crane Permits

A permit is required to close a road or operate a mobile crane on Council land within the City of Greater Dandenong.Road closure permits are generally only issued for a 24 hour period.


Applying for a local law permit

Download and complete the application for mobile crane / road closure permit form (Word - 284KB) form.

Fees apply and must be paid at time of application. See Local Law Fees for current permit fees.

When submitting an application, you must attach proof of a $20 million public liability insurance cover indemnifying Council against any possible claims arising from the activity.

If your works or event impacts vehicular or pedestrian traddic (including closing nature strips) a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) will also be required in addition to the permit.  


Traffic Management Plan (TMP) 

In accordance with the Road Management Act, Council charges a fee for assessing Traffic Management Plans (TMPs) and Taffic Guidance Schemes (TGSs) for works on local roads. Applications recieved will be issued an invoice, which must be paid prior to Council providing consent for the proposed traffic management works.


Permit conditions

  • It can not cause any undue obstruction to pedestrians or traffic

  • Appropriate safety barriers and lighting to be placed around work area so as to ensure safety of pedestrians

  • Any damage or defacing of footpaths, garden beds or nature strips is to be repaired by the permit holder

  • Road closures only: the applicant must notify the relevant service and emergency authorities 7 days prior to the commencement of works, should a full road closure be proposed

  • Mobile cranes only: permit holder must maintain $20 million public liability insurance