Skip to Content
  • Home
  • Work
  • Starting a Business

Starting a Business

Thinking of starting your own business or even relocating to Greater Dandenong? Well, there are a few things you will need to put into place and check off, this will include creating a business plan with concreate idea, ensure you have all required permits, and register your business.

There is plenty of assistance out there to ensure that you start off on the right foot and also comply with the various legislative requirements that govern small business.

Setting up a business

Setting up a business, writing business plans hiring and managing staff, money, profit and accounting are just some of the topics covered by the Business Victoria website.


Supporting local businesses

Greater Dandenong Business is dedicated to serving the needs of our business community and strengthening the economy of Greater Dandenong and Melbourne's South East.

Council supports businesses by:

  • Promoting local success stories
  • New business launches
  • Assisting with food and tourism event applications
  • Retail food and tourism promotions

Council has produced a pamphlet titled 'Greater Dandenong Business - Supporting Local Business'.

Download the Greater Dandenong Business - Supporting Local Business pamphlet

Greater Dandenong Business Supporting Local Businesses


Starting a food business

There are specific local government requirements when operating a food premises in addition to the above. Click here to obtain an overview of the City of Greater Dandenong requirements.


Home based business

Some businesses operate from a residential address, these are usually active small businesses, independent contractors or sole proprietors. By law, you may need a planning permit to use and develop land, renovate a building, or make changes on your land. Your home business activities cannot disturb, affect or have negative impact on your neighbours, you must also consider the impact of your surrounding which may include noise, odour or other remissions. Read more information under 'Do I need a permit from Council' section below.

Licences and registrations

The Australian Business Register can assist you with registering for an Australian Business Number, PAYG, GST, and an AUSkey.


Do I need a permit from Council?

You may require permits to start your business, it’s important that you have all the relevant permits before starting your business.

Support for your business

Your business might need the extra support, use this opportunity and take your business to the next level with support from the Victorian government, from various grant opportunities, the small business bus and small business mentoring advice from experienced mentors to support and train small business. 


Start Up Case Studies



Insuring your business

All businesses will need insurance, it’s a matter of knowing what insurance you will need for your business.

Need more help?

For more information, please contact Greater Dandenong Business on 8571 1550 or email