Skip to Content
  • Home
  • Your Council
  • Local Laws
  • Camping and Caravans (Temporary Dwellings)

Camping and Caravans (Temporary Dwellings)

Is a permit required?

Except if staying at a registered caravan park, a permit is required to camp, occupy or otherwise reside in any tent, caravan or temporary dwelling.

A permit is not required if the applicant is the owner/occupier of the land and the period of camping is less than 28 days.

A permit is also not required if the period totals no more than 28 days in any 12 month period and proper sanitary facilities are maintained to the satisfaction of an authorised council officer.

Applying for a local law permit

If a local law permit is required complete an application for a local law permit form (PDF - 332KB).

Fees apply and must be paid at time of application. See Local Law Fees for current permit costs.

When submitting an application to camp, occupy or otherwise reside on any land owned, managed or controlled by Council (other than a caravan park or camping ground), the applicant must attach proof of a $20 million public liability insurance cover indemnifying Council against any possible claims arising from the activity.