Skip to Content
Coronavirus Update (COVID-19) Material Aid and Community Service

Coronavirus Update (COVID-19) Material Aid and Community Service

01 January 0001

During the COVID-19 Pandemic Council is working hard to ensure its most vulnerable and high risk residents are looked after. 

Material Aid

Demand on local support services and sourcing essential items like food has become more difficult during this time.

Council is working with local agencies and providers to source and deliver food and material relief to vulnerable members of the Greater Dandenong community.

Over the past three weeks, Council has supported the distribution of 15 tonnes of food to our community, including fresh fruit, vegetables and non-perishable food.

Council is doing our best to support community members that are most in need and encourages everyone to continue to support one another during this challenging time.

View YouTube video about how Council is working hard to ensure its most vulnerable and high risk residents are looked after

The Victorian Government is providing emergency relief packages for individuals and businesses affected by COVID-19.

If you need support

Greater Dandenong residents needing immediate support can call the COVID-19 hotline on 1800 675 398 and choose option 3. They will then speak to a Red Cross volunteer who has been specially trained to support people who might be distressed or anxious.

The Red Cross volunteer will connect callers with the right support or refer them to Council to connect them with local services and organisations.

Any agencies interested in contributing to Council’s material aid efforts, or residents needing further help with getting support, please email

Aged and Disability Services

Essential services for our older residents and residents with a disability are still being delivered but with some modifications.

Community Care staff are working with existing clients and the community offering alternative ways of providing services in order to ensure that people get the support they need.

The Federal Government has recommended that any resident aged over 70 and any resident aged over 60 who is immune compromised should self-isolate at home.

These residents may now be eligible to access a range of in-home support services under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme or Home and Community Care Programme. 

Important contact support:

  • My Aged Care
    Residents should contact My Aged Care on Tel:1800 200 422 to discuss their needs. For residents with a disability under the age of 65 please contact Council's Assessment Team on 8571 5503.

  • Council's Community Care Assessment Team 
    Any resident having difficulty accessing My Aged Care can contact Community Care Assessment Team on 8571 5503 for further assistance. 

  • Disability Information Helpline 
    The Australian Government has a dedicated Disability Information Helpline to provide accessible information, counselling and outreach services for people with disabilites. Please telephone 1800 643 787 to access this service.

Find News